Wednesday 28 September 2011

Go on then! Sure! Certainly! Of course!

Books are enjoyable, informative and gives one something to do when the internet goes down. But not many actually improve and make life more exciting, injecting little sparks of excitement into the smallest things. Danny Wallace's 'Yes Man' has done that for me recently and I don't what I appreciate more - the comedy of his anecdotes or the effect it's having on my daily life.

Like many of us, I'm all too used to waving away invites, requests or suggestions in favour of non-excuses such as 'I should probably save my money', 'can't really be bothered, mate' or 'I don't think the bus goes there'. Well, I'll tell you now - the bus does go there and you never know who you'll meet on the way.

Rather than going to the extreme and saying yes to penis extentions and Nigerian email scams, I've allowed a 'normal' week to be given a lick of optimistic paint. It's like putting on a pair of yellow lensed sunglasses and looking at stuff. Try it and my comparison will make sense. My weekends have become socially packed, and I've not made any effort. I've just put aside my misanthropic tendencies and replaced them with that little word. A Facebook notification of an event invite from a friend brings a smile to my face. Not because it's something I want to go to (at this point I haven't discovered what the event is!), it's because I know I'm going. No excuses. Turned out to be a Board Games evening in a Bath pub https://www.facebook.com/#!/event.php?eid=118409294928965 Hmmm :/ Fuck it, I'm in. I'll find a dusty 1994 edition of Scrabble from my childhood bedroom. See you there!

It's funny and inspirational. Do buy the book. Don't watch the film. For those of you who have read it, I have my own 'Ian' who is an inspiration in themselves. So thanks to them for giving me their copy.

Yesyesyes!

2 comments:

  1. Its a really good book, definatly worth a read. I have a buisness propersaition for I am nigerian prince and I have £42million frozen in an account, would you like to help?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why don't you eat your fish, Danny?

    ReplyDelete