Wednesday 28 September 2011

The New Red Hot Chili Peppers

Last week I was clicking around YouTube and stumbled upon a recent live performance. Watching with concentrating eyes I felt something was missing. Not just former guitarist Mr John Frusciante, (still hurts to type that) but something missing within the band. It felt like the passion, energy and general guts of, how I see it, the true four were replaced with a beautiful but somewhat weaker, looser version of the Peppers.

On the other hand, this admittedly biased observation hasn't distracted me from what's good in the Red Hot camp these days. I said beautiful and I meant it. Yes, it's different. Yes, I prefer how it was before. But its important to put this aside when listening to the latest effort 'I'm With You'. Josh Klinghoffer has breathed an alternative and real sweet spirit into the group, and if you allow yourself to separate yourself from expectations, a very good album by a fresh sounding band awaits you.

But, back to that live stage. Playing 'Californication' It's here you see four men not 100% comfortable in their own skin. Chad doesn't seem to be enjoying smashing the shit out of his kit, Flea looks like he's rehearsed those stage moves and Anthony remains static with not a lot of heart behind the vocals. Meanwhile you can tell Josh is doing his upmost to perform but is sounding more like a guitarist from a RHCP tribute act, occasionally out of time and missing the odd note.

I'm interested to see what the future holds with Josh and the old boys. Don't pack it in, whatever you do! The live performances will only improve with time. The new monster needs to find its feet. Besides, they were Red Hot before Frusciante, and they'll be Red Hot after him.

No comments:

Post a Comment